Laser Hair Removal Treatment Care
Before arriving for your first laser hair removal appointment, you’re certain to have some concerns. Here are some important pre and post treatment instructions for your laser hair removal procedure.
Pre Treatment Care
- Please arrive for your appointment with your treatment area prepared in the following manner: Hair should be shaved 12-24 hours before treatments, make sure skin may not be tan, skin should be clean and free of lotions and perfumes.
- Any topical medications or skin care products should be stopped 3-5 days prior to treatment.
- You MUST avoid bleaching, plucking or waxing hair for 4-6 weeks prior to treatment.
- If you have a tan or have a darker skin type, a bleaching cream should be applied 4-6 weeks prior to the treatment.
- We will not treat tan skins or if you have been taking antibiotics within the last week. We also will not treat areas that have active herpes lesions or venereal warts. This is a safe measure in the interest of both patient and technician.
Post Treatment Care
- Immediately after treatment, there should be erythema (redness) and edema (swelling) of each hair follicle in the treatment site, which may last up to 2 hours, or longer. The erythema may last up to 2-3 days. The treated area will feel like sunburn for a few hours after treatment.
- Your provider may use an optional cooling method after treatment to ensure your comfort.
- A topical soothing skin care product such as aloe vera gel may be applied after the treatment if needed.
- Avoid sun exposure to reduce the chance of hyperpigmentation (dark spots).
- Use sunblock (SPF 30+) at all times throughout the course of treatment.
- Avoid picking or scratching the treated skin. Do not use any other hair removal treatment products or similar treatments (waxing, electrolysis or tweezing) that will disturb the hair follicle. Only Shaving is required.
- Anywhere from 5-14 days after the treatment, shedding of the treated hair may occur and this appears on the surface. This is NOT new hair growth. You can clean and remove the hair by washing or wiping the area with a wet cloth or Loofa sponge.
- There are no restrictions on bathing except to treat the skin gently, as if you had sunburn, for the first 24 hours.
- Return to the office or call for an appointment at the first sign of the return of hair growth. This may be within 4-6 weeks for the upper body and possibly as long as 2-3 months for the lower body. Hair regrowth occurs at different rates on different areas of the body. New hair growth will not occur for AT LEAST three weeks after treatment.